Sunday, January 14, 2007

January 11, 2007

On January 10, 2007, I went in for what I thought would be a fairly minor problem (I've had some trouble swallowing since about mid-December) and was scheduled for an endoscopy the next day (the 12th). The doctor said the only way to determine what the blockage was was to look at it. An endoscopy is where they stick a tube down your throat with a camera and some tools in it. They can do a variety of things like take tissue for biopsies, remove stuff that might impede your esophagus, and probably a lot of other things I don't want to know about.

On Thursday, the endoscopy showed a tumor 40 cm down my esophagus. He recognized it as esophageal cancer and took a biopsie sample. He was not optimistic about the results of the biopsie and got me scheduled for a cat scan the next day to determine the extent of the problem.

On Friday, January 12, the cat scan showed some spreading into the rest of my esophagus, some into my stomach and possibly leisions on my liver. The hits just keep on coming.

So here we are on the weekend. We've had the pain of sharing this with all our friends and family without knowing what the prognosis is or what the treatment is. We think the treatment will be radiation, chemo and surgery. We're planning that the cancer can be treated successfully.

Our children have been super. We are lucky that both girls are here in Houston. My family has experience with cancer and are very supportive as well. We have a strong group of friends and a supportive church. Most of all we have each other and we are determined to not let this do more than temporarily interfere with our retirement plans.

Tomorrow, we'll see the Kelsey Seabold oncologist and make appointments for two others - one at M. D. Anderson and one at the Deke Slayton Cancer Center. One thing we know is that it is important to start the treatment soon. Treatment and prognosis tomorrow. Not sure I'm looking forward to it.


All for now, Bob

4 comments:

Katy said...

I love you dad.

Unknown said...

We love you too :-) Clif and Terry

JEFF said...

BOB,

I'M HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE GOING TO START TREATMENT RIGHT AWAY, THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!!

QUESTION??

DO THE DOCTORS FEEL ONE TREATMENT EVERY (3) WEEKS IS AGGRESSIVE ENOUGH???

JEFF DAVIS

LORRAINE said...

Bob,

My heart goes out to you and Verva during this difficult time. Just as you supported me through prayer during my trying time with my mother, I will support you in any way possible. Just say the word!! As Jeff eluded to in one of his emails, prayer is a powerful weapon! GOD performs miracles each and every day, every minute and every second. Just ask my mom and family. After weeks in intensive care, the doctors had given up on my mom and advised us to think about hospice. I told them that we believe in MIRACLES! Today she is almost in the same shape that she was before her illness. Bob, just believe that, YOU ARE HEALED IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!!! My prayers and thoughts are with you!

Love Lorraine (your next door neighbor)