Sunday, February 4, 2007

Safe Flight Home

My father has always been my hero; at an age when most young men are trying to decide what to do when they grow up, he was in England serving as the pilot of a B17 bomber. One of his fellow pilots, Jim Bradford, recently wrote me this letter.

1/26/07

Dear Bob –

- You’re at 22,000 feet and the flak is very heavy – bullets are flying –
But you must keep flying! If you take flak on your starboard wing – trim your port side and fly straight ahead!
If you lose an engine – or even two – you can stay afloat, as your Dad can attest! You may lose some altitude to keep air speed.
- But you’ve got to keep flying! Your 300 degree course is headed for home! You have a great, dedicated crew of family and friends on board; a terrific ground crew at MDA!
Keep you glide angle above stall speed – keep flying! In the distance up ahead you’ll soon spot the welcome sight of the white cliffs of Dover! It may take a while to reach them since your air speed has slowed down – but you’ll reach them. And just beyond is Woodbridge Emergency Landing Field! No matter the winds of change or chance, there’s safe haven there! You’re home!
Keep your wings level – your glide consistent – your airspeed up – you’ll make it.

Safe Landings! God Speed!
His Blessing Always,
Love, Jim and Jeanette Bradford

2 comments:

Wayne Thompson said...

Dear Cousin Bob,
I've reread your dad's book since I saw you and Verva at Johnny's service last year. I love hearing the story of the strength and endurance he had to get through that. I'm feeling pretty strong: I've got a new job that I like, remotely managing wind turbines (we have hundreds of the big 1.5 MegaWatt ones in Texas!), and I am committed to helping Robyn's and my friend Paul as he goes through his particularly nasty battle with his GBM. My job is 12 hour shifts, 3 or 4 times a week. And then 3 or 4 day weekends! 4 days off is an ok time to fly to Texas or New York or California's San Juaquin Valley to visit family.

I love you; I am so proud of all my family.
Cousin Wayne

rindy said...

geez.....is everyone in your family extraordinary, eloquent and inspired. my comments pale...i think i'll just stick to personal emails from now on.....or i might have to go back to college....but know, in my lesser way, i am always thinking of you!

your less than inspiring, but still caring one..... :)